Monday, March 5, 2012

2 months old - What We've Learned


2 months ago Chad and I became parents to two of the cutest nuggets I know and while we know some things about babies, we both have definitely learned a lot. For instance, knowing the difference between their cries, how to get them to go back to sleep at night, how they like to be rocked, changed, swaddles, bathed… geez.. the list goes on. However, there are a lot of things that we are still learning about. Check back with me in another month and I’m sure I’ll have a few more things to add to this list.

Sleep Deprivation- This $*#! Is for Real
 
 I mean I knew it would be bad, mainly because everyone kept telling me how bad it was going to be, but WOW! I.Want.Sleep…. probably more than anything in world. More than a new wardrobe, a new car, a new house, a million dollars.. you name it, I’d definitely choose sleep over whatever you were offering. There is definitely a reason why this is a form of torture.. gotta hand it to you CIA, but throw in a screaming baby (or two) and a “to do” list a mile long and then maybe you can get your criminals to talk. Thankfully the twins are on a schedule where they both wake up close to the same time at night and I’m getting 3-4 hour chunks, which is pretty amazing to me now.

Medical (Never ending) Questions
My poor mom, a nurse of 30+ years and a NICU nurse at one time and my sister, a PA in Des Moines deserve a raise. It’s a good thing they are family and don’t charge me for every phone call that begins with, “hey, I have a question.. is it normal…” if they could, I’m sure they would be able to retire. Questions like, How long is too long to go without pooping?, Is a rectal temp of 99.6 and an oral temp of 100.0 anything to worry about?, “How much Tylenol do I give them – the new measuring system says to consult your doctor?.. seriously, these little people don’t come with an instruction manual. I don’t know how people do it without a Brooke Herman or a Cindy Sproul.

Inflicting Pain = Tears (mostly mine)
While I’m not a ooey gooey type, I still don’t enjoy seeing people or animals in pain. I won’t watch movies where people are being tortured or are being hurt, and I run from the room or change the channel when the ASPCA commercials come on, but the #1 suckie thing that I have to do daily is inflict pain on my sweet daughter Lauren.  Previously on a really long blogpost, I rattled off something about Hirschbrongs disease and Lauren’s constricted bowel/intestine. She is still having difficulty going #2 so her doctor has told me I need to do digital stimulation on her DAILY.  So once a day, I have to put a glove on and stick my pinky finger (he told me to use my ring finger.. NO) in her bottom and help her stretch that muscle out so she can poop. You have never seen such giant tears from a baby. It sucks!! My mom and sis are quick to remind me that this is all part of being a mom and it’s easier to do it now, opposed to when she’s 4… touché.. but I still hate it.

Post Baby Workout – Show me the sports bras
 I wasn’t home more than a couple days and it was one of those freakish January days where it was 50 degrees and all I wanted to do was go for a run outside.  I didn’t go, it had only been 8 days after my c-section, but I have been looking forward to working out since the doctors pulled those sweet babies from my stomach. Call me crazy, but it’s my “me” time. A few days ago, I finally had the time to squeeze in a workout. One was asleep and Chad was holding the other, so I took my shoes and took off. There weren’t enough sports-bras in the world to prepare me for that mile and half jog. It was difficult, but sooTrolleyrun on April 29th (4 mile race) and Color Run in June. Not to mention two good friends’ weddings that I am standing up in this fall.

Sugar & Gas Drops- two of the best inventions on earth
When Lauren was in the NICU and at Children’s Mercy, they gave her a little sugar on her pacifier to soothe her when they were sticking her with needles or poking her. When they sent us home, they said to continue to use it when she was really fussy and now I. Have.Created.A.Monster…. well a sugar monster at least. We’ve since switched over to pedialite, per her pediatricians recommendation, but the “sweeties” as I call it does wonders. Shots, having a finger in your bottom, the sweeties can take care of it all. It is also the reason for all of Lauren’s smiles and coo’s.. She loves a little sugar. I’ll probably regret this when I see the dental bill, but I figure a few cc’s isn’t going to hurt, especially if it makes my baby feel better when I have to hurt her.

Landon also needs a little comfort from time to time, but not in the form of sugar… this boy has GAS… the kind of gas that would make his Papa Tim proud. You can hear this little man farting from the other room with his door closed. While I don’t mind the gas, I do mind that it wakes him up. A few gas drops and this guy is a new man; still somewhat stinky, but without an upset tummy. 

and now.. a few pictures of the sugar queen and the gas god :)

 
This is usually how our group photos go..

March Madness with Dad.. yes please!

snuggle time

Lauren's version of camouflage
You can also look at all of their newborn pictures on  www.MEphotographypics.com, click clients, then Lauren & Landon Newborn - password is lang

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I love them so much! The pic of them together just makes me want to drive 3 hours to hold them! I didn't realize you had to do that to Lo...poor girls, both of you. And I know I'm not a medical professional, but if you ever want to ask me weird questions, I got lots of opinions and a What to Expect the First Year book :)p.s. do I need to come out of "taking off Ericka's sports bras" retirement?

    ReplyDelete